Sunday, July 03, 2005

God save the Queen

After 2 years since my last trip back, I'm bleery eyed in Starbucks, Leicester Square, the din (murmur would be too gentle a word) of thousands of conversations mingling with that easy listening music you get in Starbucks) in my ears. (and an overdose of ICON, the Steve Jobs biography on the brain).

Trawled Gerrard Street, where Chinatown is but sadly, where apparently only the dreck Chinese restaurants are left - the good ones apparently have all migrated to Bayswater. An interesting experience - something of a meander down memory lane for me. Nice memories of the place although the familiar spots have all disappeared - I couldn't even find the infamous Wong Kee (I'm sure its there, I just didn't quite look hard enough). But the bakery where years ago I remember buying Chinese pastries and buns was still there. Hmmm, might merit a visit tomorrow morning. It would be interesting to have an experience of eating Hong Kong food in the middle of London.

Ironically, my first meal in Britain was not toad in the hole or some quintessentially British dish (the to die for all day breakfast, nah, pass). Instead, I decided on a Bacon Double Cheeseburger at Burger King. There's something about the allure of piggy bacon, having been countless times, offered the appalling 'beef bacon' that demanded I make Burger King my first port of call.

Not proud of it, but hey, its as good a way as any other to kick off a visit to Merry Olde England...

No comments: