Friday, December 08, 2006

Can you say 'DOH' Nut



One of the highlights of my trip to HK this time was a visit to that renown American brand institution, Krispy Kreme. Today was Visit #3 and I think I have just about topped out on sugared doughnuts (although quite how they are managing to absolutely make a foul mockery of their Lattes, using Illy coffee is quite beyond me, hence I just order the straight regular coffee)

At HKD10 a pop (or DOH), it's not cheap. 2 doughnuts and a cup of regular coffee sets you back RM15 (around HKD38). And I seem to be on a waistline expanding suicide mission to try all of them - pity they don't have a Krispy Kreme checklist at the website.

So far I've tried Original Glazed (me likee), Powdered Strawberry (me sucker for jelly doughnuts), Glazed Raspberry (nice!), Chocolate Iced Kreme filled (sickly sweet and all 380 calories mean I'm never eating that one again but if you're a creme-eggs person, probably might be your thing), Chocolate Iced Custard Filled (grew on me)...as you can see from the checklist, at least a few more to try out although I think I've DOH-ed out. (or maybe my pocket has). Also, eating it prompts terrible guilt and then the need to sweat it out somehow to compensate for the huge quantity of calories consumed.

Why are Americans fat? Ask uncle Krispy Kreme.

And in case you're wondering what in heaven's name is the appeal - they're soft, fluffy, just the right bite, sugary without being messy and frankly, brilliant with coffee - if only they'd get the god-damned Illy right!

No comments: